Friday, October 8, 2010

To all those things you never knew existed.


Today's ZZ forecast-- a high of 77 degrees with a current status of SMOKE.

That is according to Yahoo's weather page on its Los Angeles server. Seriously.

As I jogged outside during my daily pavement grind today, I didn't see billowing gray plumes representing a burning building or fields aflame, only the characteristically gray sky of Zhengzhou. I swallowed and imagined a thickening of the tar inevitably coating my lungs. Ah, what a wonderfully ashy day, perfect for an afternoon run, I thought with sarcasm that only seems to grow with each day in China. I may now be able to dip, dodge, duck and dive a honking car or charging e-bike without a feeling of constant terror, but I suspect that China's ever-present smog will never urge me to start up my marathon training.

Smoke means fire, unless you're in the haze of Zhengzhou's urban chamber, then it means you should wear a Hello Kitty mask protecting your inhalations--like far too many do here.

Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment