Monday, February 28, 2011

Snow?

Growing up in Iowa, it doesn't feel like winter without a good dumping of snow. You become conditioned to it like Pavlov's panting dogs at the sound of a bell. Six inches today, oh yes, it must be January.

As I mentioned before, however, since September, ZZ had yet to receive a drop of precipitation of any kind. A drought of grave importance for an agricultural province; for me, it meant living in a cold dust bowl without a winter. Yesterday, finally, on the last day of February, it happened. Chemically induced snow blanketed the city, thanks to the government's mysterious mocktail that was launched into the air.

Creating, what I must say, the first day ZZ looked pretty and even picturesque. The inch of fluffy snow looked like lace attaching itself to the palm trees that greet me outside my apartment. Something I've never seen in Iowa. Looking out at the city on the eleventh floor at our new gym, you couldn't see much of the sprawl, like most days due to the smog, but I wished I had my camera all the same. The swirling flakes actually seemed natural in their flurry that casted gray over the obstructed scene, even though they weren't nature's creation, just like the smog.

I crossed my fingers for school cancellations (all we got was a rescheduling of office hours), attempted to build a snowman and threw a few snowballs until my fingers froze outside.

Now, it can be spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment